Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Thing 3 - RSS

In general, I don't know if I am that fired up about this RSS thing. I mean, I can see how some people who might peruse A LOT of different websites on a daily basis may find convenience in limiting their bookmark cruising to just updates - but, for myself, I really do not see it as being that big of a deal.

What really confuses me is why news/sports sites would use this at all. The basic premise of going to sites like CNN.com, ESPN.com, etc. is to get the LATEST in news. These sites must be updating practically every second - why would you need to see updates? On the other hand - less current sites (like blogs) do have definite uses with this program.

Using the site seems pretty simple - I did not encounter any problems. I stuck the basic cut and paste method for adding subscriptions. I added a few "23" blogs to my list so that I dont have to go back and check them every day.

Would I use it? Personally, I do not see a HUGE need for it. I could see myself subscribing to some professional sites/blogs that I can use to cut back on aimless surfing. Right now I don't know how/why I would use it with students and what they do. If you have any suggestions - please feel to drop me a comment.

No comments: