Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thing 19 - Podcasts

As a talk-radio junkie, I hear the word podcast hundreds of times a day (every show I listen to offers its program in podcast form). However, I do not own an iPod so I have never really looked into podcasting. I see the point - it is kind of like a walkman for those of us who prefer the spoken word to music. Aside from radio programming, I also know that audio books and the like are also being made available for an mp3 player. If you own the necessary equipment - great. I listened to a brief interview from the latest MEMO conference and can see the benefits of this tool in that one can keep up with things and hear about events/conferences/etc. strait from the horses mouth.

As far as incorporating this into my library - I again have to go back to the administrative restrictions excuse. iPods and such are not allowed in the school I work in, so I doubt I will spend too much time worrying about providing podcasts for my student patrons. I will not rule them out completely - it may be something fun down the road that I might have some students work on, but for right now I will probably just stick to finding some that I can use for professional development purposes.

No comments: