Sunday, July 13, 2008

Thing 18 - YouTube

I am very familiar with YouTube and have been for quite a while. There is no doubt you can find just about anything under the sun at this site. My one complaint is what I would call "reckless tagging" of many videos. For whatever reason, it seems that one can search for something and will be directed to things that actually have nothing to do with what they were looking for. This can be very dangerous, especially when you consider how it could be young people who are searching and a seemingly innocent search term can dig some some "dangerous" things. This is probably the main reason why many schools do block YouTube. It would be nice if they could "monitor" tagging a little better. I know there are other video sites out there, including one called TeacherTube which is appropriate for the classroom.

The above video is a clip from the movie adaptation of my favorite book, The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo.

No comments: